Tuesday 2 July 2019

Thom Yorke

Thom Yorke’s fourth solo outing ANIMA is his strongest yet and feels less like a side project and more an extension of the themes and cutting edge sounds he’s been exploring with Radiohead since heading away from the mainstream in 2000 with Kid A.

I’ve said before that the films I find myself drawn to are often those that blur the line between the conscious and unconscious (awake/ asleep). Films such as The Double, After Hours, the majority of David Lynch films. Watching the Paul Thomas Anderson directed short film that accompanies ANIMA it struck me that there is an overlap with my taste in music. The film plays out like a fever dream starting with a smartly choreographed scene of tube passengers falling asleep. Much of Thom/ Radiohead’s output seems to exist in a dream like void that leaves you trapped with a paranoid feeling of not knowing what’s real and what’s imagined. As he sings in How to Disappear Completely from Kid A; ‘I’m not here. This isn’t happening.’

No comments:

Post a Comment