Saturday 19 December 2015

Favourite Music of 2015

And here is my top tracks of 2015 playlist..

Ryderz - Hudson Mohawke
Huarache Lights - Hot Chip
Lean On - Major Lazer (feat. MØ & DJ Snake)
I Know There's Gonna Be (Good Times) - Jamie xx (feat. Young Thug & Popcaan)
Butcher Baker Candlestick Maker - Panda Bear
Gimme All Your Love - Alabama Shakes
Magnets - Disclosure (feat. Lorde) [Jon Hopkins Remix]
Need You Now - Hot Chip
Trap Queen - Fetty Wap
Get Free - Major Lazer (feat. Amber Coffman)
Downtown - Majical Cloudz
Future People - Alabama Shakes
Obvs - Jamie xx
Boys Latin - Panda Bear
Guess Who - Alabama Shakes
Loud Places - Jamie xx (feat. Romy)
Where Are Ü Now -  Jack Ü (feat. Justin Bieber)
Tropic of Cancer - Panda Bear
Burning Up - Hot Chip
The Rest is Noise - Jamie xx

Looking for common threads running through these choices one that stands out is the use of some killer samples. From Hudson Mohawke's use of DJ Rogers 'Watch Out for the Riders' in 'Ryderz', respectfully letting the track play out for nearly a full minute before all hell breaks loose over the top, to perfectly positioned nuggets by Jamie xx (The Persuasion's 'Good Times') and Hot Chip (Sinnamon's 'I Need You Now').

I always assumed my album of the year would be a toss up between the two I have played the most; Jamie xx's 'In Color' and Alabama Shakes 'Sound and Color', yet as the year comes to a close I find myself returning to the densely layered beats and propulsive rhythms of the first album I bought in 2015, Panda Bear Meets The Grim Reaper, more than anything else. With every release under the Panda Bear moniker Noah Lennox has created a striking soundscape into which he weaves his trademark multi-tracked harmony vocals. Panda Bear Meets the Grim Reaper has a meatier sound than his previous work but also contains his most beautiful moment when the cacophony of drones and beats are replaced with a harp sample from Tchaikovsky's 'The Nutcracker' and Noah's most heartfelt vocal about losing his father as standout track Tropic of Cancer kicks in.

My favourite music video of the year is Tame Impala's 'The Less I Know The Better' by Canada. This has everything you can ask for in a music video. It's entertaining, funny and has a strong narrative that enhances the song.

Tame Impala - 'The Less I Know The Better'
 

No comments:

Post a Comment