Sunday 4 January 2015

Favourite Films of 2014

2014 was a good year for films. Richard Ayoade's The Double tops my list of favourites. I loved the film and thought it was as good, if not better, than his brilliant 2010 debut Submarine but I seem to be in the minority. It divided critics when it was released and hasn't appeared in many end of year polls. Boyhood on the other hand has received unanimous praise, many recognizing the effort Richard Linklater put in to keep the project going over a 12 year period.

Films I missed that I'm hoping to catch this year include Nightcrawler, Interstellar and The Possibilities are Endless.

Here are my top 5 films of 2014:

The Double (Richard Ayoade)
Boyhood (Richard Linklater)
'71 (Yann Demange)
We Are the Best! (Lukas Moodysson)
20,000 Days on Earth (Iain Forsyth & Jane Pollard)

..and the best five old films that I saw for the first time in 2014:

The Matrix (Andy & Lana Wachowski)
Brazil (Terry Gilliam)
Of Time and the City (Terence Davies)
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (Philip Kaufman)
Ms. 45 (Abel Ferrara)

No comments:

Post a Comment