Tuesday 7 January 2020

Blueprint Productions

Nigel Pearce uses a blueprint photography process to produce original artwork. Check out a promotional video I made for him here:


In return I received a blueprint record artwork with my desert island disc choices listed on the label.

To decide what tracks to choose I used my Top 30 playlist as a starting point but soon realised that despite being my favourites most of them didn’t have any deep meaning or memories attached so I ended up combining them with some more personal choices. Choosing just 8 tracks to represent yourself and your life means leaving out a lot of amazing music. Artists/ genres that didn’t quite make the cut included LCD Soundsystem, The Avalanches, African Highlife, The Beach Boys, New Orleans Funk, Caribou & The Bees. 
 
1. Little Ole Wine Drinker Me - Charlie Walker

I’ve got a soft spot for Country & Western after spending many a car journey as a kid singing along to one of my parents C&W cassettes.

2. Club Tropicana - Wham!

My older sister had a heavy influence on my musical taste as I grew up in 80’s suburbia. Duran Duran, Spandau Ballet, Top of the Pops and Smash Hits! As I got older I fell out of love with the 80’s sound with a few notable exceptions (see also ‘I Can’t Go For That’ by Hall & Oates or ‘Close to Me’ by The Cure).

3. Beardsman Ska - The Skatalites

This represents my love of all things Jamaican; Ska, Reggae, Rocksteady, Dub. The horns on this track are joyous and infectious.

4. I’m Sticking with You - The Velvet Underground

I almost picked ‘Sweet Jane’ by the Velvets (a mainstay of my top 30) but this one seemed a more fitting end to side A. It’s the song that Clare and I performed at our wedding and will always bring back wonderful memories.

5. A Message to You Rudy - The Specials

One of those songs that has always been in my life and I never grow tired of hearing. It’s another Ska track, this time from the English Ska revival that came out of Coventry in the late 1970’s.

6. Midnight Train to Georgia - Gladys Knight & The Pips

I’ve always been a soul boy at heart. Aretha Franklin, Marvin Gaye, Curtis Mayfield, Bobby Womack, Jackie Wilson, Stevie Wonder.. I chose this track over the rest as it has my favourite backing vocals of all time.

7. Sound and Vision - David Bowie

Timless and unlike anything else ever recorded. This is my favourite Bowie track.

8. Stand by Me - Ben E. King

A perfect end to side B. I sang this song (along with You Are My Sunshine) to each of my three children every night before they went to sleep when they were small.

No comments:

Post a Comment