Friday 30 December 2016

Favourite Music of 2016


Decks Dark - Radiohead
Metal Bird - Gold Panda
I Exhale - Underworld
The Space Program - A Tribe Called Quest
Because I'm Me - The Avalanches
In My Car - Gold Panda
Dis Generation - A Tribe Called Quest
Subways - The Avalanches
Hold Up - Beyoncé
Tilted - Christine and the Queens
We the People....  - A Tribe Called Quest
Chiba Nights - Gold Panda
Black Man in a White World - Michael Kiwanuka
Love on the Brain - Rihanna
Rings of Saturn - Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds
Ova Nova - Underworld
Ful Stop - Radiohead
Never Ending - Rihanna
Whateva Will Be - A Tribe Called Quest
If I Was a Folkstar - The Avalanches
Present Tense - Radiohead
Nylon Strung - Underworld
I Can't Give Everything Away - David Bowie

For me 2016 was the year of the comeback album with over half of my songs of the year playlist made up of tracks from great records by A Tribe Called Quest (first album since 1998), The Avalanches (..2000), Underworld (..2010) and Radiohead (..2011).

It wasn't a great surprise that it took 16 years for The Avalanches sophomore effort seeing as their 2000 debut Since I Left You was said to contain around 3,500 samples. As with their previous effort Wildflower is bursting with ideas and textures, tracks flowing into one another to create an epic suite of sound, set apart from it's predecessor by a number of tracks featuring guest vocalists. It's my favourite record of the year and also spawned my favourite music video Because I'm Me directed by Greg Brunkalla.

The playlist ends fittingly with a David Bowie track from his final album Blackstar. 2016 will be remembered as the year we lost so many talented musicians and artists.. the legends Bowie, Prince, George Micheal and Leonard Cohen among them.

No comments:

Post a Comment